I know what you’re thinking, “What does Zip It and Zap It have to do with wellness?” So much that you don’t even imagine how much sometimes. Both of these can go hand-in-hand when speaking of health and wellness. These two action steps go together like peanut butter and jelly; if we’re not careful in pursuing their end we will find ourselves in a mess of health issues all at the mercy of our own hands. If you Zip It and Zap It you’ll have many more days filled with wellness.
Zip It is in direct relationship to our mouths not just to foods that make us unhealthy and overweight, but to words that tear down. If your conversation and the words you use are not adding to the encouragement of others then don’t say them. The words we choose can either build a bridge of wellness or leave a legacy of deceit. When was the last time you were in a conversation with someone and you heard more curse words than anything else? This person is filled with strife, contention, and animosity with others and with themselves. Learn to control your words for your health’s sake. People who don’t curse, edify conversations, and encourage one another are calmer, more at peace, and healthier than their curse word slinging counterpart.
Zap It is totally connected to the negative energy that’s produced by negative people, negative situations, negative words, and negative thoughts. If you are yearning for better wellness then you’ll want to Zap all the areas that are negative in your own lives. Just like the microwave zaps all the nutrients out of our food, we need to Zap all the negative influences that cause us strife. Granted you probably can’t do anything with the traffic you drive in every day, but you can alter your response to it. Instead of getting agitated by it, listen to uplifting music, a book on CD, or leave a half-hour earlier.
Here are some ways to Zap It (the negative energy)
- Get away from negative people: If you’re married to a spouse that is constantly negative then find your happy place in your mind and go there when your spouse is in a negative place. Talk to them ask them why they are negative all the time. Seek counseling if necessary. Find something that the two of you like to do and make a commitment to do it at least once a month or more.
- Stop using negative words yourself. Zip your mouth if you can’t say anything nice to someone. Hold yourself at a higher standard. Don’t let the negative words of others spur you into a negative world. If we praise our children for what they are doing right instead of constantly criticizing them for all the mistakes they make, they will be happier children and want to do better instead of not wanting to try at all.
- Create a list of positive words to say every day. I know it sounds rather childish but if you are learning a new habit and need a little bit of prompting throughout the day. This list will help you. I’m constantly adding to my list. Click here to see it.
- Stop watching TV shows and movies that are surrounded by negativity. When you’re in a negative place watching movies about arguments and listening to foul language will only fuel the fire within you.
- Stop eating junk food. Junk food is filled with negative energy and zaps too many nutrients from your body just to digest it. Instead choose live food. Nothing packaged, with a label, or from the fast food restaurant down the street. Eat an orange, a banana, an organic piece of chicken, an organic salad. Choose as much organic foods that contain nutrients that give our bodies positive energy. The longer a person runs on negative energy the higher the risk of contracting deadly diseases and other illnesses.
- Keep a notebook with you. Sometimes when I’m going through a negative situation I write down my thoughts about it, then I cross them out and write something positive about the situation. Write something positive about being stuck in traffic. Write something positive about all the negative situations in your life and you’ll begin to see those same situations as positive opportunities for growth.
When you put these two action steps of wellness, Zip It and Zap It, together with the other 25 to work in your own life you’ll begin to see that your wellness is in you hands. While each step has it’s own merit together they form a wellness plan that can propel you into a life that you never thought was possible. One filled with abounding health and magnificent wellness.