What’s the first thing that you remember about going into department stores? How many times have you walked into a store or gone out with friends only to have the worst headache or dizzy spell you’ve ever had? How do you feel when you walk down the detergent aisle at the grocery store? Hubby and I were at the library a couple of days ago when he came down with an instant sinus headache when a lady that walked by and had on so much perfume it sent him into a dizzy spell. If you wear fragrance or scent your homes with those nasty plug-ins, you are poisoning yourself, your family, and the people you happen to walk by! For thousands of people the mere task of shopping, or even going out for dinner is not as simple as it seems. People with chemical sensitivities are often the ones that feel the detrimental affects these poisons most people call fragrance.
Only a fresh spring rain should smell like a refreshing spring rain. If your clothes come out of the washer and dryer smelling like a fresh spring rain, you’re poisoning yourself. This poisoning starts early in life. When we have babies we want them to smell fresh so we slather on the lotions filled with artificial fragrance. Then we change their diapers and pour on the baby powder, again filled with artificial fragrance. Let’s fast forward to when our children are teenagers. Their rooms smell like a locker room so we run to the store and buy fabric fragrances and plug-ins. We spray their entire room with chemicals so their room doesn’t smell anymore. Then in every empty outlet we plug in more chemicals to cover up the odors. Are you starting to understand that maybe your children’s allergies or stuffy noses are from all the chemicals they are ingesting every time they are in their rooms?
Here are some of the chemicals that make up the fragrances you might be using in your homes.
- Phthalates: Endocrine disrupters that mimic your body’s natural hormones. Hormone disrupters cause reproductive and neurological damage.
- Benzyl alcohol: This drops your blood pressure, upsets your respiratory system, causes nausea and vomiting. (Don’t you just love that Mountain Rain scent?)
- Camphor: Wow this stuff is on the EPA Hazardous Waste List…but it’s still used in products with fragrance. Absorbed through “bodily tissues,” causes confusion, dizziness, nausea, muscle twitching, convulsions.
- Dichlorobenzene: This is extremely toxic and is banned in the state of California. It depresses the central nervous system and is poisonous to the liver and kidney. (Interesting, don’t you think?)
- Ethanol: It’s a carcinogen that comes from petroleum. Its toxic effects are seen on the skin, our respiratory, cardiovascular, developmental, endocrine, neurological, and gastrointestinal systems. (So how do you poison a people? Make them think it’s all right, they smell great. )
- Formaldehyde: This is toxic when inhaled. It irritates our skin and eyes, and it’s poisonous when swallowed. (Let me see if I got this straight. We slather on lotion, we paint our nails, we spray ourselves, our clothing, and our homes with fragrance and perfume…and we wonder why we don’t feel well, or why our children have so many breathing problems.)
How do you poison a people? Hide. Promise. Hide.
Hide the poisons.
Promise the consumer everything
Hide the real ingredients (“fragrances” instead of phthalates)