Today was the day I said I would tackle the refrigerator. I wanted to get rid of all the old food, and what once was food but has turned into a chemistry project. Sometimes I have to smell the offending food to know whether it’s gone bad, at other times I just know by the mold I see. I started thinking about how cleaning our refrigerators is in direct relation to cleaning our lives.
We fill the refrigerator with good wholesome food, in my case it’s all organic. Because of a lack of time we don’t clean out that food which has gone bad. When we look at cleaning out our lives we look at ways to fill it with all the good things that life has to offer, filling our minds with good, positive, and Godly thoughts, finding new uplifting friends. But we neglect getting rid of those parts of life that are decaying and causing us to stumble, those negative thoughts and moldy toxic people who have become permanent fixtures in our lives.
The problem with this is that we cannot grow if we cannot let go. We’ve all heard of clean diets, living a clean and sober life, but we don’t talk about how to get from one point to the next. In order to follow a clean diet we need to get rid of all the processed foods, and only choose organic, whole foods. Cleaning our lives is the same way. We can’t expect our lives to move forward if we’re stuck in the same negative thought patterns with the same moldy toxic people that suck the life out of us.
So how do we get unstuck and clean our lives so we can move forward?
- Limit your time and energy spent with these moldy toxic people in your life. You may have to rethink your friendships with them in real time and on social media. Only you know who these people are in your own life. You can go to them and ask them to stop acting a certain way, if they refuse to, then just limit the amount of time you spend with them. If it’s your spouse or significant other, and you love them, pray for them and look for the good in them, focus on the good whenever you are with them.
- Whenever a negative thought comes into your mind, push it out by reciting a positive quote. You may want to keep a list of positive quotes with you at all times.
- Stop putting yourself in situations where these moldy thoughts and moldy people are in control of you. That means that you may have to say “NO” to them. It’s difficult but your own sanity is at stake.
- Surround yourself with people who are uplifting, positive, and loving. People who make you want to be a better person. These are the people who will help you when you need help, and not try to control you or your life.
- Watch your own words because they will either hold you back or stop you in your tracks. Cleaning our lives means we use clean words all the time. Words that uplift, forgive, help, motivate, inspire, and love. Use these words when you speak to other people and when you talk to yourself.
This is only the beginning to cleaning our lives. It’s not a one time event, just live cleaning out our refrigerators isn’t a one time event. It takes time, patience, and love to continually clean our lives. It also take perseverance, and strength.
Cleaning our lives is the only way to move forward in a world bent on standing still.