I’ve had friends over the years that would pay for memberships but not use them. One such membership was to the local health club. One friend never went to the health club but was charged a fee every month for her membership. When I asked her about it once, she said that she couldn’t bring herself to cancel the membership because she might go in the future. Trust me if you have a membership to a health club and haven’t used it in a year chances are you’re never going to use it. So stop throwing money at something you’re never going to use. I was going to title this post Ditch the Health Club but the many reasons why you should keep your health club membership especially if you use it, the benefits outweigh it’s cost. But for those people who are constantly throwing money to the wind without reaping the benefits it”s time to take a serious look at where your money is going and ask yourself if you could live without it. Let go of the things you don’t use.
We had to let go of our health club membership because we couldn’t afford it. It was a difficult thing to let go of; my husband still misses it today and it’s been over a year of letting it go. So I came up with ways to stay healthy and lose weight that don’t cost nearly as much and some are even free. We all like free!
- Join or start a walking group or just grab your kids and husband and go for a daily walk with them.
- If you’re a swimmer, join a swim club and compete in meets.
- Rent or borrow exercise DVD’s from netflix, redbox, or the library
- Use YouTube as a free exercise buddy
- Save up for exercise equipment for your home.
- Borrow unused exercise equipment from friends. If it’s unused they may just give it to you.
- If you’re fortunate to live in a condo or apartment complex with its own gym use it, you’re paying for it anyway.
- If your condo or apartment complex has stairs, run up and down the stairs.
- Workout at the office if you have the facilities. Take lunchtime exercise classes too.
- Spend time with your kids playing outside games: Frisbee, catch, tennis, tag, etc
These are just some areas that can help keep you healthy and help you lose weight, without spending money you simply don’t have.