Kareem Abdul-Jabbar said it correctly: “Fundamental preparation is always effective. Work on those parts of your game that are fundamentally weak.”
I am fundamentally weak when my hunger hits and I will tear into anything that is A.) sweet, B.) chocolaty, or C.) salty & crunchy. Sweet and chocolate has always been my snack of choice. But recently I’ve been more prepared for when the Snack Attacks hit me so I am grabbing a handful of almonds or a piece of fruit.
The idea to combat the snack attacks is to eat every 3 hours. Working at home is difficult to say the least because I am always alone with all the food in my fridge and pantry. Here are some steps I’ve learned in being prepared for weight loss success
- Don’t buy processed snack food = If it isn’t in the house you won’t eat it.
- Replace the processed snack food with nuts: My favorites are raw, unsalted almonds. But I also have raw unsalted walnuts, sun flower seeds, and pumpkin seeds in my freezer.
- Make up a batch of almond butter stuffed celery, or cottage cheese stuffed celery (if you can have dairy.)
- Keep a supply of sugar free dried fruit like dates or figs on hand for when your sweet tooth takes over. Yes, it is carbs but you are also getting some much needed fiber. Just one is all you’ll need.
- If you are a baker, like I am, replace 1/2 cup of the flour with whey protein, skip the sugar and use half the amount of thawed, unsweetened apple juice concentrate.
Being prepared is half the battle in winning at weight loss. The more prepared you are throughout the process the better you’ll feel because you won’t be reaching for anything and everything.